The Duke of Cambridge said he’s „very proud“ of his grandparents, the Queen and Prince Philip, for getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
„It is really important that everyone gets the vaccine when they are told to,“ Prince William said during a virtual conversation with healthcare workers.
„I think it’s a hugely proud moment for the NHS and for the UK being able to achieve such a massive task,“ he said of the vaccine roll-out.
William tested positive for COVID-19 back in April but didn’t make the news public to avoid sending „everyone into panic mode,“ The Sun reported in November.
Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Duke of Cambridge said he’s „very proud“ of his grandparents the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh for getting their COVID-19 vaccinations.
Prince William heard from healthcare workers about „vaccine hesitancy“ among some of the public during a virtual engagement, which was shared in part on Kensington Palace’s social media accounts on Saturday.
„It is really important to get into communities, ethnically diverse communities, and more deprived communities to say ‚this is your vaccine as well, it’s for everyone, not just for some communities.‘ Getting that uptake is really important,“ Dr. Nikki Kanani, medical director of Primary Care for NHS England and NHS Improvement, said during the video call, according to Sky News.
The duke said: „My grandparents have had the vaccine and I am very proud of them for doing that. It is really important that everyone gets the vaccine when they are told to.“
„Huge congratulations to all of you for playing your part in such a monumental moment, frankly, to roll out this vaccine,“ he added. „I think it’s a hugely proud moment for the NHS and for the UK being able to achieve such a massive task.“
Buckingham Palace announced that the Queen and Prince Philip received their vaccinations on January 9.
A royal source confirmed to Insider that the vaccinations were administered by a Royal Household doctor at Windsor Castle, where the couple are isolating together.
William tested positive for COVID-19 back in April but didn’t tell anyone at the time, The Sun reported in November.
The 38-year-old contracted the coronavirus days after his father Prince Charles tested positive, according to the publication.
„After news of Boris [Johnson] and Charles‘ illnesses broke – and Boris had been rushed to hospital – William was concerned that informing the country about his own plight would send everyone into panic mode,“ The Sun wrote.
„There were important things going on and I didn’t want to worry anyone,“ William told one person during a royal engagement, the publication reports.
During the UK’s latest national lockdown the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have dedicated their virtual engagements to showing support for NHS and frontline workers.
Read the original article on Insider